SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

windows 2003 and firstspot on HP server - no response

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhhanson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:09 pm    
Post subject: windows 2003 and firstspot on HP server - no response

i had tried this on a windows 2000 server a couple weeks ago. loaded and worked. now i have been struggling for the past 2 days. the server was upgraded to windows 2003.. fresh install. i installed the trail version of firstpot (and have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times now).

from the server i can get out on the internet just fine.
the server does issue a DHCP address to the 'public' client.
the client gets a 'The page cannot be displayed' for everything.
i cannot ping the server (10.20.7.1) from the client. no response.
also cannot ping the client (10.20.7.160) from the server. no response.

i tried two different ethernet NIC's and the same happens for both.
i also looked at and disabled the hardware checksum functions.
(cant get to the 'free' page either).

does it not work with windows 2003? would like this one to work as the BBSM seems all to complex for our simple application.

thanks.
brad hanson healthpartners 9529677732
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:07 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot v3 fully supports Windows 2003 Server.

Windows 2003 sometimes is tricky to setup ( e.g. http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585 ). Please make sure:

1) the client PC can ping your Windows 2003 without FirstSpot
2) your Windows 2003 firewall (i.e. ICF) is turned off and it is not blocking the incoming traffic

If you still have difficulties, please send us the log files under FirstSpot\log subdirectory to firstspot@patronsoft.com .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:19 pm    
Post subject: Working MUCH better- but stops responding from time to time

Reinstalled product (V3.0.4) and it works much better.

I am finding, however, that from time to time (haven't been able to pinpoint the frequency), it will stop issuing DHCP IP addresses and will not respond to PING on the internal interface. Have to restart the FirstSpot server and it then resumes.

Very much impressed, otherwise. We will be using the anomymous guest mode and would like to see an option for a 'logoff' function (using an instant keyword--not a session box) to allow a guest session to be dropped. Would also like to log an optional username/email during the anonymous login.

QUESTION.. I see the trial version is now 3.1.2. I don't see any instructions about upgrading from 3.0x to 3.1x. Can I just run the install to update what I have without loosing any of my settings?

Thanks so much.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:42 am    
Post subject:

1) DHCP stop responding - please try to reproduce. Post your trace.txt file under dhcp subdirectory if you encounter the problem again

2) Instant Keyword logout in Anonymous mode - we will incorporate this feature in the next major version (i.e. v4)

3) log an optional username/email during the anonymous login - you can customize the file alogin_form.php. Note that in Self signup page (username/password mode), we have option for FirstSpot administrator to capture extra information (see the SELF SIGN UP FORM section in UI Customization tab of Configuration Manager for details).

4) Upgrade from 3.0.x to 3.1.x - please check out "Upgrade/Migration issues" section in Chapter 5 of firstspot_guide.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: