SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Password Offloading Not Working with MSSQL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRACSYSTEMS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 pm    
Post subject: Password Offloading Not Working with MSSQL

I cannot get password offloading to authenticate users even when using the plain text solution provided below. It always returns an error message indicating that the login is invalid. I have checked the database and the passwords are correct. It seems that the php authentication mechanism may be the problem. I was trying to use another encryption executable but that was not working which led me to try the plain text version. My thoughts originally were that the special characters (slashes, exclamation point, equals sign, etc...) may have been the problem, but it looks like even the plain text is not working.

http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2066

I upgraded from 7.0.2 to 7.0.5 but it seems to be behaving the same way. I think I am going to roll the snapshot back to 7.0.2 instead of trying to reconfigure everything again.

Current version 7.0.5
Windows 7 (32-bit)
MSSQL 2008
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:51 am    
Post subject:

Please stick with v7.0.5 as we change the database schema since v7.0.4. We will not support the old schema in the future.

Also, we are unable to reproduce your problem. I suggest you do a fresh reinstall of v7.0.5 and recreate the database table using the new "create table" SQL statement in chapter 8 of firstspot_guide.pdf.

Note that Password Offloading is not available for Standard Edition and it is only available for Premium and Advanced Edition only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 am    
Post subject:

Alan,

I had already tried dropping all the tables and recreating them after a fresh install. Since it did not seem to be working, I already rolled back to the previous state that had all my configurations and customizations made.

I will try the plain text on 7.0.2 and let you know what I find. Do you think that the php code should be able to handle special characters? I did so much testing yesterday that a lot of it is running together, but my recollection is that even the default encrypt password executable did not work when password offloading was enabled. I will test more tomorrow and let you know.

Is there a log file i could look at to see why it is failing the user login?

Thanks.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 am    
Post subject:

Again, please use v7.0.5. In case there is issue with FirstSpot, we will only fix the issue based on v7.0.5.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 pm    
Post subject:

Alan,

As stated, I already rolled back since doing a fresh install of 7.0.5 did not seem to resolve the problem. I would be open to setting up a secondary test machine with 7.0.5, but in the meantime I did not want to have to reconfigure everything, and so I already had rolled back to 7.0.2 over the weekend prior to your initial response since there is no automatic upgrade between the versions and I have to recreate the entire database anyway. When I tried to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.5 it kept telling me to upgrade the database even though I already had dropped and recreated the tables as per Chapter 8. I tried running the upgrade executable it referenced after the service would not start (warning that the db needed to be upgraded) and I had to change the auth server back to the firstpot.dsn file in order to let it run that database upgrade executable, but it still did not work right so I completely uninstalled, rebooted, and installed 7.0.5 from scratch without any success in resolving the password offloading issue.

That said, how do we determine where the problem is? I had asked whether or not there is a log or something I can look at to see what is happening. Once we determine where the issue is, I am open to spending the necessary hours to upgrade if the issue is confirmed to have been fixed.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 pm    
Post subject:

If you can reproduce this problem in a newly created v7.0.5, please explain the test case and we will move from there.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 am    
Post subject:

Also, please test using a simple password (e.g. 12345), and use the default dbf datasource initially.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:13 am    
Post subject:

Alan,

I had to bump up to 7.0.6 so I will test this and let you know.

Regards,
Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: