SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Sizing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcushing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:34 pm    
Post subject: Sizing?

We are considering using Firstspot to control our residence network bandwidth and access. There are approximately 700 users in the residence and they will have 100 Mbit of bandwidth available (in total). I want to use Firstspot to do bandwidth shaping and authentication to our backend AD (via Radius).

1. Can Firstspot handle this kind of load?
2. Can I mix radius and guest authentication with different plans (I don't think so)

I would like to talk to anyone who has used Firstspot in a larger environment like this.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm    
Post subject:

1) Yes. Please check out http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2695 for a guideline.

2) Currently, you can use either ODBC or RADIUS Authentication Mode
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm    
Post subject:

2) More explanation : FirstSpot actually doesn't recognize the client until he logins. So in general FirstSpot can only provide one system-wide authentication mode all the clients.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm    
Post subject:

I've used many Radius systems that fall back to 'built in' authentication if the radius authentication fails - that way if the radius server is out of commission, a local login is still available. I was hoping that Firstspot would do something like that or allow some sort of mixed authentication.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 am    
Post subject:

What you describe actually makes sense in some cases. But FirstSpot doesn't support this feature at the moment.

Currently, FirstSpot RADIUS Authentication Mode assumes the RADIUS server is always available. Alternatively, FirstSpot can be modify slightly to support IAS Load Balancing ( like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781047.aspx ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: