SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

FirstSpot server & active directory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nateday

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 am    
Post subject: FirstSpot server & active directory

We have a single server which is currently the active directory server for our library public computer domain. Installing firstspot shuts down the DNS server, which causes problems adding new computers to the domain.

Can we have both active directory and firstspot running on the same machine, or do we have to have seperate machines?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:10 am    
Post subject:

Yes, you can run Active Directory with FirstSpot. Either :

1) shutdown Microsoft DNS server, or

2) You can shutdown FirstSpot DNS server and start Microsoft DNS server during FirstSpot startup by creating a post-startup batch file. See http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2386#2386 for details.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 am    
Post subject: FirstSpot server & active directory

Hi Alan

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. My apologies for not replying sooner.

I've followed the directions as per the linked post, however we've still got DNS issues for active directory.

AD Clients cannot login to the domain. They see the server, can resolve hostnames, but can't access the domain. I've setup WINS to get around this fault.

The second DNS issue for AD is we cannot add additional clients to the domain - they're unable to contact the domain controller. If we stop the Firstspot Dispatcher service on the server, then we can join the domain. This also allows AD clients to authenticate with the domain without the need for WINS.

Is this a fault with the latest release, or have I missed something important in the firstspot configuration?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:28 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot doesn't communicate with AD at all, unless you use RADIUS to connect to your AD. The only potential point of conflict is TCP/IP port conflict in your DNS server.

Are you using FirstSpot RADIUS Authentication Mode? Your problem shouldn't be related to FirstSpot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for the reply Alan.

To rule out port conflict, I'll add a second IP to my internal network adapter and bind my DNS service to it to see if that makes a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: