SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Real IP & Pop-up Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainProton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm    
Post subject: Real IP & Pop-up Question

I think about buying this software but before I got some questions:

a) Is there a way to get rid of this Pop Up window? Like editing the login page, so that it is not being displayed anymore?

b) I have 64 real IP adresses and I want to give one to each of my costumers. The best solution would be, if a costumer always gets the same real IP when loggin in with his/her username.
The second best solution would be a log that tells me when and which user used a certain real IP.

c) what about security? Can sniffer programs be used by a hotspot user to sniff other hotspot users traffic? What about the transfer of the login and password? Is that encrypted?

Regards,

KR
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:35 am    
Post subject:

a) Go to Configuration Manager -> UI Customization -> uncheck Show InfoBox

b) You can take advantage of our feature "Real IP Address Mapping". Refer to chapter 3 -> NAT -> Real IP Address Mapping of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

c) FirstSpot has an unique feature "Client Isolation" (under Dispatcher) which prevents client PC from communicating with each other. Also, you can encrypt the username/password by enabling "SSL-enabled login pages" (under Authentication Server).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:43 pm    
Post subject:

b) does the log of the dhcp then also contains the value of the real ip that was given to the users session?

C) does client isolation completely prevents clients from sniffing each other?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 am    
Post subject:

b) This is a bit complicated.

FirstSpot Real IP feature is actually a mapping. Note that FirstSpot has no way of knowing in advance that a particular FirstSpot username is eligible for Real IP (i.e. we allow you to have per-user control on whether a user get a Real IP).

So to answer your question, no the real IP a user gets will not be in the DHCP log. The mapping is actually shown within Configuration Manager -> Status.

(Actually, there are some issues with the Real IP feature in the current v5.0.0. Wait for v5.0.1 update which we will release soon before you test this feature).

c) FirstSpot Client Isolation will prevent Client PC from accessing each other (e.g. ping, FTP, or view other Windows shared drive through My Network Places). But yes, it is still possible for the client to sniff other traffic, for that you really a AP that can isolate wireless packets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:44 pm    
Post subject:

b)

What I am trying to do is the following:
In case a user is doing something illegal (eg. illegaly downloading music, ...) and the IP is recorded by the police or music industry, they will blame me as the owner of the IP for that. (that uses to happen here more an more often)

So what I want is a log that tells me:
on day A at 12:34 h,
User B used public IP 11.22.33.44

Will the users log provide me with this information?

Maybe it can be set up to always asign the same real IP to the same user?

If there is no way to solve this problem, maybe you could add this feature in one of the comming versions.

another topic:
d) I have set up first spot to: "Authenticate user via MAC". That all works fine, but: when a user enters an instant keyword, eg infobox, a site shows up demanding for username an password. I tried the mac as username, but the infobox does not show me the account information.

Regards & Thankyou
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 am    
Post subject:

b) You can turn on URL Tracking (under Access Control), which will have information about username, IP, MAC plus the sites he visits.

d) Currently, Instant Keywords is really designed to work with normal username/password only. You can try to type in the username using the client MAC as "xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx" though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm    
Post subject:

ok, what happens if I turn off Firstspot NAT completely?

how is the traffic from the private to the public interface of fistspot being forwarded/routed?

without firstspot I could simply give the real IPs to the clients using DHCP.
But with firstspot inbetween (and NAT turned off)...

How could this be done?

I need fisrstspot to account traffic.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:24 am    
Post subject:

Yes, you can turn off FirstSpot NAT's completely. The issue here is that you need to have real IPs ready for all of your client PCs. Note that you only need to use "Real IP Address Mapping" feature when NAT is on (since all the client PCs will now have real IP with NAT off, you don't need the "Real IP Address Mapping" anymore).

Normally, for a router without NAT (like this case in FirstSpot), the outgoing traffic is determined by default gateway. The return traffic is determined by the return route of your next-hop router. Refer to chapter 3-> NAT section of firstspot_guide.pdf on how to configure return route in your next-hop router.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm    
Post subject:

ok, thanks.

one more question:

in the firstspot directory, I have found a directory named "logs".
It contains some files that I find very useful.
What is being stored in the log file named "ipmap"?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:04 am    
Post subject:

The file ipmap.log is used by feature "Real IP Address Mapping" only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: