SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

FirstSpot Demo Page
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joesyuh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm    
Post subject: FirstSpot Demo Page

Is it possible for me to kill the webpage that is running on port 80, the first spot demo page, and run another server on that port or am I stuck? As I understand all of the services run on a separate port the 80. Any help please... Also, how am I suppose to update my installation?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 am    
Post subject:

You can put the pages you want to surf at directory FirstSpot\firstspotdemo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 am    
Post subject:

I was not looking to change that page. I needed that specific port for something else but I have resolved that issue.

If I can get a response, how does one go about updating firstspot?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:42 am    
Post subject:

So how do you resolve the issue? You modify httpd-fsvhosts.conf under FirstSpot\www\apache\conf?

To upgrade from v5 to v6, you need to uninstall/reinstall FirstSpot. Please refer to chapter 5 of firstspot_guide.pdf for detailed instruction. Note that you need to purchase an upgrade at http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/buy_now_2.html in order to be eligible for the v6 license key. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm    
Post subject:

I resolved the issue by having the other service use a different port.

Although on a similar subject none of my changes go through when I make changes to the log in page. I have tried to change the welcome message and it just stays the same.

And as to the updating I am not talking about updating from 5 to 6 but updating to newer of versions of v6. There have been bug fixes put out since I installed the software and I would like to update my software to have those fixes.
joesyuh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm    
Post subject:

Also I cant get google.com off of my whitelist even though I have removed it about thirty times.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 am    
Post subject:

Did you copy any file from v5 to v6? Make sure you re-apply your customization instead of copying the file over. Better yet, do a test without any customization (e.g. fresh install) to make sure FirstSpot works correctly first.

Also, when you change welcome message, google.com (whilelist), etc..., you need to click Save within Configuration Manager to take into effect.

To upgrade from v6 to v6, all you need to do is to run the new setup.msi. According to our record, you have a v5 license key only. So are you using the v6 trial at this moment?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:51 pm    
Post subject:

You are right I have v5 I just checked. Also, I do click the save button every time I do that sort of thing.
joesyuh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm    
Post subject:

Also we cant pay those sort of prices if you are going to release a new version every year. That is ridiculous for that price. I have had this software maybe two years and I need to pay another 400 dollars? That is unsustainable for someone with my business size. I am very disappointed with this product at the moment.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:08 pm    
Post subject:

Well, you can keep using v5. It is fully functional (but without the new v6 enhancements of course) and we have hundreds of users keep using the old v5 at this moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:00 pm    
Post subject:

I understand that. I am just regretting my purchase at the moment. Its nice that I can keep my current license but you are charging 1/3 of the price (or more I cant remember) for me to upgrade in such a short amount of time.

On top of that the support system is less then desirable for this product. I am not even able to re download my current version of the software. Instead I have to download the Demo version if I want to do a fresh install. The customization of the log in page does not work. I am unable to change any of the text on that page.

I just am really disappointed with the software. Its obvious to me that this product is produced by a small company that does not set its sights on good customer service.

Its my fault for not doing more research. I will be looking for an open source or cheaper alternative to your product. I would advise anyone reading this against purchasing this product.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:20 pm    
Post subject:

Something is not right. We have "hundreds" of users using the old v5 at this moment. There are no need to upgrade to the new v6 unless you want to take advantage of the new v6 features.

Our demo/trial version is the same as the purchased version. Once you make the purchase, we will send you license key which will unlock the trial version. There is no need to download a separate "purchased version".

Back to you problem. It is actually really strange that FirstSpot doesn't even work for such a simple operation. I suggest:

1) you do a fresh install of a copy of the old v5. I assume you already have a copy. If you don't, just inform us and I send email you the download link

2) without changing any setting or doing any customization, try to start FirstSpot. Make sure there are no errors.

3) Go to Configuration Manager -> UI Customization, make the change you need, and then click save. You can see the changed text immediately in the login page.

If this fails to work, we need to know the exact steps to reproduce your problem. Please give us as much details as possible. And trust us, we will make it work eventually.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm    
Post subject:

One extra thing I want to say is that I try to answer you concerns as much as possible in a speedy manner (it is currently weekend, and we answer in around a hour time). So I would tend to think our customer service is not too bad... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm    
Post subject:

I understand what you are saying. And I appreciate your speedy response. But, speedy response is not what I am asking for. I am asking for helpful responses.

And compounding the issues I was having before firstspot is now crashing our server. It crashes when I try to start normally and it crashes when I try to do a repair/restore.

Code:
 STOP: 0x000000D1 ...

Code:
 firsthop.sys - Address BA74EB3A base at BA74EB3A, DateStamp 00000000

I am more then happy to attempt your steps once I get my computer back up and working.

As you can understand, I get a bit frustrated when things do not work as intended and no resolution can seem to be found. [/code]
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 pm    
Post subject:

I still think some of the customization/changes trigger your problem.

To recover, please:
1) rename firsthop.sys within windows\system32\drivers in Windows Recovery Console
2) once you are able to start Windows, uninstall FirstSpot
3) now, reinstall FirstSpot v5 (please use v5.1.7)
4) Without changing any setting, try to start FirstSpot
5) make sure FirstSpot is running okay. You might want to run FirstSpot for a while this way
6) once you are confident that FirstSpot is working fine, you can try to do customization and change any FirstSpot setting. If you encounter any difficulties, try to revert the change immediately.

BTW, our forum does have "500 Internal Server Error" issue recently when you post an entry. Just ignore the error and your posting should be there. No need to resubmit as you will double-post. We are currently working with our hosting vendor to resolve the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: