SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Virus??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:25 pm    
Post subject: Virus??

Received a "McAfee VirusScan Alert" today, indicating that the file "firstspot_drv_bootup.log" is "detected file cannot be cleaned. Please delete the file and replace it with a clean copy". Virus name: QSD17

This computer has never been on the Internet nor used for any other application other than the Firstspot s/w

1. Can the computer get infected via user and the firstspot s/w??
2. How do I get a new copy of the file above?
3. How do I keep this from happing in the future? Does McAfee s/w need to be running and current on the system if only Firstspot users are accessing?

Frank
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:33 pm    
Post subject:

Like any other server systems, having an anti-virus software running is a good idea, to minimize the chance of being infected by your users' virus.

That file is a log file written by FirstSpot driver at every machine's re-boot. You can simply and safely delete it and reboot the machine will do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:08 pm    
Post subject: virus

So, my whole system can be infected by my customers surfing the web?? Why is this not protected and only acting as a pass-through? Expecially, if a virus can get to your s/w?

Also, does the virus protection on the f/s server protect the clients connecting through it?

Frank
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:17 pm    
Post subject:

No, FirstSpot's machine wouldn't get infected when your customer surf the web. FirstSpot is just a pass-through.

The virus protection software usually only protects the machine that installs it. If you need to protect the whole network, you need a firewall plus an email filter system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: