SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

How to setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:52 pm    
Post subject: How to setup

hi. this is the setup i currently have for a hotel.

Cable Modem to MAIN Router to switches - the switches connect to a wired connection in each room so the MAINrouter assigns the Ip addresses
- the switches also connect to four wireless routers (one per floor where the cable connects in a switch method so if someone connects to wireless the MAINrouter assigns the IP address)

However, now the setup must be changed.

The new setup should be such that when user connect either wired or wireless, they should be brought to a page where they agree to a Terms of Service and click I agree. They only need to do this once. Nothing else is needed. Basically, this requires a captive portal.

Now, after reading through the PDF that si included with the trial, I saw that a router is needed. Why is this if FirstSpot assigns DHCP addresses?

Also, is this right for me or is this overkill? I only need users, once they are connected, to automatically be brought to a site with the hotel information on it and a terms of service and a i agree button. Once they click that, they cant surf normally.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:32 pm    
Post subject:

An extra router is not necessary (unless you are using FirstSpot Multiple Network Segments). Your new setup should be:

Client -> wireless router + switch -> FirstSpot -> your MAIN Router -> Cable Modem -> Internet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm    
Post subject:

That is exactly what I am confused about. Why is there still a need to keep my MAIN router? Once FirstSpot is added, what purpose will it serve? Why can't it be like this:

Client -> wireless router + switch -> FirstSpot -> Cable Modem -> Internet
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 pm    
Post subject:

If your cable connection supports DHCP directly (instead of PPPoE), then you don't need your main router. Otherwise, you need your main router since FirstSpot cannot act as a PPPoE client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: