SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Running a Web Server and FirstSpot on the same Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:16 pm    
Post subject: Running a Web Server and FirstSpot on the same Server

Is there a reason that FirstSpot and a WebServer (IIS) cannot run simultaneously on the same server? We we would rather not purchase another server just for FirstSpot to run on.
www.zxcdesigns.com
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:11 am    
Post subject:

Hello Evin,

You can do so, as long as IIS doesn't listen at ports that FirstSpot's built-in Apache is using: 80, 443, 5786, 5787, 5788, 5789. To be exact, you can do a netstat -a in Windows to verify the current HTTP listening ports.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
Evin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:55 am    
Post subject: Web Servers and FirstSpot

I don't know if this is a hardware problem or if it is Firstspot...After we started FirstSpot, we tried to re-activate IIS Admin Service and then start our website through IIS Admin itself. We were able to initialize the IIS Admin Service through Windows Server Edition 2000, but once we actually opened up the console for the site, when we went to start it, we received the error "This IP address already in use." Does FirstSpot have anything to do with this?
www.zxcdesigns.com
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:50 am    
Post subject:

is it because IIS tried to use some ports that Apache was already using? Have you tried configuring different ports for IIS and restarting afterwards?

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
Evin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:32 am    
Post subject: Running a WebServer & Firstspot at the same time

Kevin,

I understand what you are saying about FirstSpot and the ports that it listens on. However, there is no way to run FirstSpot and a Web Server at the same time and dedicate all of the external web traffic to the server itself, is there? If I isolate the web server to just one port, then every time someone tries to get to our site, they have to enter the port number that we telll IIS to listen on. I would rather not have this be a problem with our site. Is there a way to turn port 80 off on FirstSpot?
www.zxcdesigns.com
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:47 am    
Post subject:

If port 80 is turned off in FirstSpot, the login page and redirection won't work anymore.

One workaround that I can think of (but haven't tested): try to bind another (new) ip address to the *public* NIC of FirstSpot. Then, have your IIS to listen on that new IP's port 80. I guess your end-users can then access your IIS by using the new IP address.

Please make sure the new ip is listed *after* the pulic IP used by FirstSpot; otherwise FirstSpot won't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: