SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Great Software but clients have problems send outgoing mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpoynton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:19 am    
Post subject: Great Software but clients have problems send outgoing mail

I am semi technical & really happy with firstspot 4. I have two questions for you.
1. If clients are using outlook rather than web based email; what settings do they need to use to send mail (receiving ok). Is there an inbuilt outgoing mail server in firstspot or do we need to set one up? or change their settings?
2. What is patronsoft's policy on upgrades. We pucrhased version 4 in March 06. I notice there have been many subsequent revisions...do we get free updates?
Appreciate your time...once again awesome software! keep up the good work!
Greg
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:20 am    
Post subject:

1) FirstSpot SMTP roaming feature has built-in SMTP server which allows outlook client to send email without changing SMTP setting. Check out the manual firstspot_guide.pdf for more information about SMTP Roaming

2) You are eligible for all v4 updates.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:08 pm    
Post subject: POP3 clients

I do not understand, none of my current hot spots have this problem. All of my guests can send mail from thier pop3 clients. It sounds like you have crippled the software. The most basic functions hot spot users need is web surfing and email. This SMTP Roaming should be a basic function, not a feature at all. I cannot see any environment where this is not needed so the Standard Edition is not a viable product.

I was all set to oder several licenses for new installs and upgrade some existing sites, but an extra $750 USD per site just so my guests can send email is very hard to swallow. I know I am getting more than just email - but that is the only advanced feature I MUST have. After adding hardware costs, the solution is now more expensive than others. I can get an [product name deleted] with credit card support for less than the cost of your Advanced Edition and hardware.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:52 am    
Post subject:

Note that you don't need SMTP roaming feature to send email. This is for end-users that have problem with their existing SMTP server setting (e.g. the end-users' SMTP server cannot be access outside of the original ISP). Even without the SMTP roaming feature, the end-users that have difficulties can still change the Outlook SMTP server setting to send emails.

One of key advantage of a software-based system like FirstSpot is control. You can customize FirstSpot whatever you like. Also, we don't charge Client Access License (CAL) and you can upgrade your standard PC without paying us. Imaging your hotspot is getting very popular and you need to pay the original vendor upgrade "tax". I still think our solution is cheaper (in the long run for some people).

You might want to check out our FAQ at http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/faq.php (especially point 6) for more comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:57 am    
Post subject:

Whew, OK, it just didn't make sense. Thank you for clarifying that. There is so much to like with this solution over the others I have used or looked at that I was stumped when I saw this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: