SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Redirect to a single external page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:12 pm    
Post subject: Redirect to a single external page

For one, I want to give you a very large compliment on how well the software is written. Before I found you guys I had purchased and/or evaluated the following:

[product names removed]

NICE F*ING WORK. You guys really got it right. I bought it on the spot and didn't even wait for the trial to end.
So, here is my question.

I setup the entire system on the 1st attempt...Using WLAN for Internet and Ethernet into WAP (WAP set wide open, no dhcp, dns, WEP, etc).

Got "Welcome to our Hotspot" page perfect. Signed in with test account, got timer functions. Everything works as designed.

Q. How do I configure FirstSpot to redirect to a single external page, and force the user to stay there. Case in point. I am IT at a hotel. Boss wants wireless users to get to the Hotel's web page, but not surf anywhere else. There can't be an extra click in there. They just need to "associate" | launch a browser | and they are on Hotel site. If they attempt to leave the site, they get redirected back to Hotel site.

I tried replacing the auth logon page.
I know PHP and have written a simple redirect.php script.

Am I missing something? I didn't want to start hacking your proggy up before I asked if I was missing something.

Thanks so much, and great product, either way.

Garry
garrye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:50 am    
Post subject: Solved

Okay, you support guys help me even with your silence. (Saturday night and you are not working? tsk tsk) :)

This is how I accomplished this task.

Open DISPATCHER and select your address range that you would like redirected to the SINGLE PAGE.
Assign the "PHP REDIRECT" to "SINGLEPAGEREDIRECT.PHP"
Create a PHP file with a META REFRESH to the page you would like to force them to.

Then, finally, go to "Exception Free Websites" and add your SINGLEPAGE, as an excepted site.

There you go.

Thanks, boys, very flexible software. Nice job.
Garry
garrye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:58 am    
Post subject: Woops

Meant to say "MULTIPLE NETWORK SEGMENTS" not "DISPATCHER"

Here is something I did to get to this point and I just realized that it is a desired, yet anomolous feature:

I originally had 2 WLANS, 1 private and 1 public. I had to fix that after the installation was already completed so I went to CONFIG.INI and pasted "LOCAL AREA CONNECTION" in place of "WIRELESS ADAPTER 4" in the PRIVATE adapter area. Restarted the server.

Now, with no further interaction, there is no login_select.php being called. Not even a single clickable page---just a straight redirect. I though this was a trial account restriction -- the forced redirect? I think I may have found a way around it, by accident. Just so you know.
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:37 am    
Post subject:

You mean no login page to show at all? Then that's not a "redirection" after all...?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:34 am    
Post subject: Sure it is

I am still redirecting them...just not to a login site----a permanent splash page. Did I do it the hard way? Was there another approach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: