SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

New Install -- DHCP Won't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericrhyder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 pm    
Post subject: New Install -- DHCP Won't work

Using trial software: V8.0.10

Running on a Server 2012 R2 machine. Software appears to behave fine, but cannot get the DHCP server to issue an IP address to a wireless device. No errors indicated in the logs either.

Suggestions?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:36 am    
Post subject:

First, please check whether the "Patronsoft DHCP Service" is started correctly in Windows Service Console.

If it is already started, most likely there is a router device sit between your client or FirstSpot. Either you remove it, or set up DHCP relay in that router. Refer to http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/topologies.html and chapter 4 of firstspot_guide.pdf for typical topologies for FirstSpot setup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:13 pm    
Post subject:

DHCP service is running.

There is no router on the network. Its running on its own VLAN, with no other services touching it.

Here's a brief diagram:

Wireless Devices --> Cisco Wireless Controller --> Cisco 3750 Switch --> Server running software.

I can connect to the controller, I can ping the server from the controller, but I can not get DHCP to issue an ip address.

I have an ip helper-address on the vlan on the 3750 pointing to the server as well.

any ideas?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm    
Post subject:

Unless you want to setup full-blown Scenario 3 Multiple Network Segments (which requires IP-helper/DHCP relay), I suggest you remove the VLAN setup at this moment.

In general, DHCP protocol relies on broadcast mechanism within a particular network segment to work. So the client and FirstSpot Visitor Network Interface need to belong to the same "physical" network segment.

Also, the other thing to double-check is to make sure there is no other DHCP server in this network segment. The best way to perform this test is use sniffing tool like Wireshark.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm    
Post subject:

Any success in configuring your FirstSpot?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:07 pm    
Post subject: No Success

After spending some time on it, no luck. For some reason Firstspot does not want to broadcast a DHCP address thru my Cisco wireless controller.

At first I thought it was a misconfig on the WLC, but I installed another DHCP server on the VLAN, and I can connect to it thru the WLC just fine.

I think at this point, since my FirstSpot server is already running on Server 2012 R2, what I need to do is disable DHCP from firstspot and just the built in DHCP server on 2012 R2.

Unless someone has some more advice.....
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 pm    
Post subject:

FirstSpot actually supports using third party DHCP server (e.g. Microsoft DHCP server). All you need to use is to turn off FirstSpot DHCP server under Configuration Manager -> DHCP, and then restart FirstSpot.

If you can get FirstSpot working in this configuration, I suggest you keep it at this moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: