SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Auto user account creation based on MAC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 am    
Post subject: Auto user account creation based on MAC?

Hi,

Wondering if it would be possible to implement a feature like this? Let me try to explain better. I've been using the anonymous login option and also enabled user session logging. Which works OK, but when the user goes over the data limit, their session is disconnected, but they can start a new session immediately. In this case the data limit is ineffective. What I would like to have from a user point of view, is no login required, but I track the device data usage and am able to reset on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

So here's what I'm thinking...

- Check MAC address of user device
- If MAC does not exist as a user, create a new user with the MAC as their username
- Track this users session as you normally do

Is it possible to achieve this?

Thanks.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:11 am    
Post subject:

You can try our Self Sign-up feature under the normal username/password mode. In that case, the customer simply needs to signup before accessing the Internet through FirstSpot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 am    
Post subject:

Thanks. But I don't want the users to be doing any signing up or logging on, for them I would like a seamless experience. Just want to be able to use a quota to monitor their usage. I understand I can use the self sign-up feature along with the passive login feature, but that still requires that they sign up and log in at least once.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:26 am    
Post subject:

In that case, you can explore our "Free Access" feature (configured close to Self Sign-up).

The idea is that the user can access the Internet freely (with some user attributes defined by Free Access Plan), and you can reset the attributes every day.

Refer to chapter 3 of firstpot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 am    
Post subject:

Thanks I'll check it out.
GBS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 am    
Post subject:

I've had a go at configuring the Free Access option. However, it still requires the user to click through and submit the request for Free Access. How can I enable the Free Access method so that the user does not have to click on anything?

If I'm asking too much I can understand.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:09 am    
Post subject:

Yes, one needs to click a button. The idea is that you can put T&C and promotion material in that page.

Alternatively, you can simply use Passive Login with IP-based Session handling, and add the whole block of IP as Passive Login users. You can then reset the user attribute daily using FirstSpot API.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: