SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

scratch codes - authentication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techpro30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm    
Post subject: scratch codes - authentication

Hello,
I am new to FirstSpot. We are currently in test mode. Currently we use Cisco BBSM to generate codes for guest vendor access.
A vendor asks for a code for a time period. We recieve this request, add username to BBSM and generate a code. We then email or print and hand this code to vendor.
I see on FirstSpot, there is SMS code delivery, where the vendor would enter his/her phone number and recieve a sms with the code. I dont see the authentication with this.
Any help is appreciated.

-tony
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot SMS Sign-up currently works with Scratch Code Login Option. The flow is like:

user enter his mobile number under SMS Sign-up -> FirstSpot send out an SMS (via a email-to-SMS gateway, see below) which contains a valid Scratch Code to his mobile phone -> user login using this Scratch Code.

Note that the SMS Sign-up feature works using the email-to-SMS gateway, and you need to pre-create some Scratch Codes in advance (e.g. using Bulk Accounts). Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks,
so does this mean ANY one within range of the SSID can just enter phone number and receive a code? Im missing the authentication on this.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm    
Post subject:

Yes. The idea is that the hotspot owner just want to capture mobile number instead of enforcing authentication. If you want to restrict the end-users, you can skip SMS Sign-up altogether and just use scratch code or username/password instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 pm    
Post subject:

Great. Thanks for the help.
supernut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am    
Post subject:

i am slightly lost on the SMS option

i want to send the codes to clients myself via this, i want my staff to import the Clients number and auto send the code directly to there mobile, i have clients who pay via phone and it would be an advantage for me to do it this way.

can this be done ?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:21 pm    
Post subject:

In that case, you can simply fool the SMS Sign-up (just enter an invalid SMS gateway) so that the SMS won't sent by FirstSpot. You then grab the mobile number at Extra Information Field 10 (optional, needs to enable it in the UI). The Extra information Field 10 is stored in field signup10 within ODBC table fsusr and then you can send out the corresponding Scratch Code manually.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm    
Post subject:

its more work then my resellers and staff would or could do, i want to just send the codes manually via control panel and not have to fake things.

if that can be sorted then i can place my order, i already use radius manager on my network, its the one option i need badly if i am to change CPs
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 pm    
Post subject:

It actually isn't that bad since you don't want FirstSpot to send the SMS on your behalf instantly. I can assure you that there is no side-effect for this workaround.

Currently, FirstSpot SMS Sign-up feature is designed to send out the SMS instantly. It shouldn't be too difficult to write a small program to help you to send out the SMS manually later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:24 pm    
Post subject:

you got me wrong, i want the SMS to go out right away, but i want only STaff and Resellers to have access to do this and not clients, we are a paid service and all has to be paid up front.

?
supernut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm    
Post subject:

run down

Client gives us there details in our shop or over the phone or at one off our resellers shops, payment made, staff or reseller inputs clients mobile number and picks package for correct code to be sent, code sent right away.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:48 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you. I understand your requirements better.

In a sense, your whole SMS and mobile operations are "outside" of FirstSpot. All you need to do is to pre-create a bunch of Scratch Codes using the Bulk Accounts feature under Configuration Manager, and then your staff can send the code to the end-users.

Of course, there is a small program you can write so that you can automate grabbing the Scratch Code from FirstSpot ODBC user table fsusr. It shouldn't be too hard. Again, we can help you on that if you decide that you don't want to do it yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: