SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Linksys WET54GS5 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgangstee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:51 pm    
Post subject: Linksys WET54GS5 question

I bought a used Linksys/Cisco WET54GS5 router/bridge and when accessing it rather than the expected Linksys configuration page I get a FirstSpot Demo Page saying congratulations, it works! And a link to the PatronSoft webpage.

My questions are;
Is this subscription based software or am I can I use it since it's in my device?
How can I access the Firstspot configuration page?
How would I setup the device for use? There are 5 wired ports plus a wireless port. (no wan port)
What can I do with it?

Finally after playing with it or not being authorized to use it how can I get it out of my device? I guess call Cisco and reflash the device with the original firmware?

Thanks.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:04 pm    
Post subject:

Not too sure why. Maybe your service provider is running FirstSpot?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:59 pm    
Post subject:

Quote:
Not too sure why. Maybe your service provider is running FirstSpot?

Ummm, no I'm just looking at the router webpage, it has Firstspot embedded. No internet connection.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:12 pm    
Post subject:

Can you briefly explain your network setup (e.g. IP, topology, etc...)? Which IP do you use to access the Linksys configuration page?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm    

Quote:
Can you briefly explain your network setup (e.g. IP, topology, etc...)? Which IP do you use to access the Linksys configuration page?

Sure. I have a Linksys WET54GS5 router/bridge, I power it up and connect a cat 5 cable to one of it's 5 inside ports (it has no WAN port) and I connect the other end of the CAT5 cable to the network port on my laptop.

I first tried setting my laptop to DCHP but I only got a 169 address so then I set my laptop to 192.167.1.1 and that's when I got the "Demo page" "It's Working!"
NOTE that I said 192.167.1.1 and not the more common 192,168.1.1 - it was a typo that I discovered the FirstSpot page. (I get nothing if I type 192.168.1.1)

That's all I have so far.
I'd like to know how to get into the configuration page for FirstSpot.
dgangstee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:03 am    

I discovered that with the Linksys WET54GS5 powered up but completely disconnected I can browse to 192.167.1.1 and I get the "Demo Page " via the wireless connection. However I cannot see the Linksys when scanning for wireless networks so it is not transmitting it's SSID.

If I can't see the SSID I don't know how I can be connected to the Linksys in the sense of being connected to any other Wireless Access point such as my Netgear router. So why can I see the "Demo Page"?

I tried disconnecting all other wireless routers leaving the Linksys as the only wireless device connected to the internet and although I could get the "Demo Page" I could not browse to any other webpage on the internet or in the Linksys.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am    
Post subject:

There is a FirstSpot lying somewhere, through we cannot be sure why it happens.

A better test is to simply disable the wireless card in your laptop, and then connect to your Linksys AP via Ethernet. This way you can be sure the FirstSpot demo is coming from the Linksys AP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 pm    
Post subject:

Quote:

A better test is to simply disable the wireless card in your laptop, and then connect to your Linksys AP via Ethernet. This way you can be sure the FirstSpot demo is coming from the Linksys AP.

Thank you, yes I have done that and now I'm positive that the Firstspot is coming from the Linksys router.

How can I get the configuration page?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:13 pm    
Post subject:

Try http://192.167.1.1:5787

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm    
Post subject:

Quote:
Try http://192.167.1.1:5787

Well that gets me to a page that says:

(403) Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8d PHP/5.2.0RC2-dev Server at 192.167.1.1 Port 5787

Which is more than I've gotten from this router so far.

Any other ports to tr?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:08 am    
Post subject:

There is still the possibility that the FirstSpot is somewhere in your network instead of AP. Can you use sniffing tool like Wireshark to pinpoint the interaction of the IP 192.167.1.1?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:19 pm    
Post subject:

Quote:
There is still the possibility that the FirstSpot is somewhere in your network instead of AP. Can you use sniffing tool like Wireshark to pinpoint the interaction of the IP 192.167.1.1?

Well I solved the mystery with your help. Seems the FirstSpot is coming from a motel that is a couple blocks away although I don't see a SSID from the motel.

Between isolating the AP, disabling my wireless on the laptop and clearing browser history I finally was able to see the routers own setup page.

Thank you for all your help in this matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: