SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

FirstSpot Start: Bug?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReverendD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 pm    
Post subject: FirstSpot Start: Bug?

Wanted to report my findings on this in case it is a bug or something that can be fixed in future updates.

I also ran a search on the forum but it was wicked slow and did not return any results regarding this.

On the PC I am using I renamed the NIC cards prior to the FirstSpot install to something that would let me differentiate them. I then installed FirstSpot and got everything configured. Just now I started the captive portal for the first time and I kept getting this error:

Code:
Fail to find the internet network connection (LAN) Internal Connection.

I thought odd, the PC is recognizing it fine. I tried a few other times then it occurred to me that I had further renamed the NIC cards to add at the end (Top) or (Bottom) in reference to which card was serving which process. So, I renamed the LAN connection to what it was prior to the FirstSpot install ([LAN] Internal Connection (Top) > [LAN] Internal Connection). Attempted to start the captive portal. Same error, though this time it was for the [WAP] Guest Connection NIC, which had (Bottom) added to the name after FirstSpot was installed. Once I removed the "(Bottom)" identifier from it and started the captive portal service it started fine.

So, what I found was that FirstSpot uses the network connections Name as opposed to its windows identifier or device name (e.g. Intel PRO & RealTEK). If those connections are renamed after the install of FirstSpot they will no longer work until renamed to what they were prior to the install.

So is this a bug, is it done on purpose, and/or can it be fixed for future updates?

TL:DR;

Do not rename your network connections after installing FirstSpot, or the captive portal service will error out and not run.

~Rev
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:59 pm    
Post subject:

Yes, if you rename the Windows network connection aftering FirstSpot installation, you need to change the corresponding parameter privateNIC (for Visitor Network Interface) or publicNIC (for Internet Network Interface) within the config.ini file.

Refer to other issues -> point 9 of readme.rtf for details.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:03 pm    
Post subject:

Looked right over this on the readme. Thanks.

~Rev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: